St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA

Metadata

Title

St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA

Digital Identifier

St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Philadelphia, PA

Description

In 1758 the vestry of Christ Church authorized the construction of a new chapel at Third & Pine Streets to accommodate its members living in the southern section of the city. St. Peter's Church, located at the corner of Third & Pine Streets, and Christ Church shared the same vestry, ministers, and records and until they formally separated in 1832 were known as the United Churches of Christ Church & St. Peter's. The formal separation agreement stipulated that records created prior to 1832 were to be maintained by Christ Church so researchers looking for pre 1832 information should check the Christ Church collections. Records created after 1832 were maintained by St. Peter's. Scanned for this project are minutes, pew rents and registers.

Selected Items from the Collection

Bound manuscript listing marriages, burials and baptisms performed at St. Peter's from 1830 to 1884. Marriages span the years 1832 to 1870. Each marriage listing includes the date of marriage and the names of the individuals being married. Often the…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript contains the pew rentals for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church from 1832 to 1834. Each listing…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript contains the pew rentals for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church from 1835 to 1836. Each listing…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript contains the pew rentals for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church from 1837. Each listing includes…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript contains the pew rentals for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church from 1838 to 1840. Each listing…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript contains the pew rentals for St. Peter’s Episcopal Church from 1840 to 1848. Each listing…

The vestry is the governing body of an Episcopal church; it is comprised of the rector and members of the congregation elected by other congregants.

The vestry minutes begin with a copy of the 1832 Act by the Pennsylvania legislature which separated…

The vestry is the governing body of an Episcopal church; it is comprised of the rector and members of the congregation elected by other congregants.

This bound volume contains the dates, members present and business discussed at St. Peters vestry…

Deed from Thomas Penn and Richard Penn for the land for St. Peter's church and graveyard.
View all 9 items