Orders of Interment, Volume III (Nos. 1555-2243), 1770-1785
The first burial ground for Quakers in Philadelphia was located on the east side of 4th Street, south of Arch Street – the site of the Arch Street meeting house today. Quaker burial grounds in Philadelphia were never entirely "select" -- that is, strictly limited to members of the Society of Friends. However, additional members of the Meeting’s burial ground committee had to approve and to sign the permit for non-members. Plots were not sold individually. These are the original interment permits, mounted in a series of volumes.
Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia
Haverford College Quaker and Special Collections