Pew rent books, 1787, v. 2
V MI46 P477px v. 2
The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents owed and paid to First Presbyterian in 1787. For most of the book, entries are listed by pew number and congregant name, with dates and amounts paid, and they span two pages, verso and recto. The last few pages of the book contain notes written upside down, starting from the back and running backwards chronologically.
First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Presbyterian Historical Society