Pew rent books, 1794-1795, v. 7
V MI46 P477px v. 7
The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents owed and paid to First Presbyterian from 1794 to 1795. Entries are listed by congregant name, with dates and amounts paid, and they span two pages, verso and recto.
First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Presbyterian Historical Society