Pew rent records, vol. 4, 1793
Second Presbyterian Church Pew Rent Books 1793, Vol 4
V MI46 P533p v. 4
The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Second Presbyterian in 1793. Entries are listed by pew number, with pew holder's name, portion of pew rented, and dates and amounts paid. Entries are written sideways, spanning left and right pages.
Second Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Presbyterian Historical Society