Schoolmaster records, 1786-1791, John Ely
Second Presbyterian Church, School Committee, Correspondence, Agreement, Account
In 1787, schoolmaster John Ely agreed to rent the Second Presbyterian schoolhouse and provide instruction to local children on reading, writing, arithmetic, and religion, with Second Presbyterian serving as a patron to the school and referring children of parishioners for instruction there. These seven loose documents include Ely's contract with Second Presbyterian, and letters from Ely regarding the need to enlarge the schoolhouse, a proposal to create "an academy for the instruction of young ladies," the employment of tutors and ushers, and an account of his expenditures in improving the building.
Second Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Presbyterian Historical Society