A monthly meeting at Philadelphia was established along with Philadelphia Quarterly Meeting in 10mo 1682/3. Quakers first met in homes, but the first Bank Meeting House – the “meeting on the Delaware side” – was built late in 1683 or early in 1684, located on the west side of Front Street, north of Mulberry (Arch). A second meeting house was erected in Centre Square by 1687, but this was infrequently used due to its distance from the rapidly developing area along the Delaware. Construction began…Read more about Monthly Meeting of Friends of Philadelphia
Philadelphia Congregations Early Records
When completed, the Philadelphia Congregations Early Records project will offer over 80,000 pages of records from Philadelphia’s oldest congregations, connecting the archives of Christ Church, St. George’s Methodist Church, Gloria Dei, Mikveh Israel, African Episcopal Church of St. Thomas, Episcopal Dioceses Archives, Presbyterian Historical Society, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and American Baptist Historical Society.
Digitized materials include minutes, account books, birth, marriage, death, and burial registers.
This project is supported by a Digitizing Hidden Collections grant from the Council on Library and Information Resources (CLIR). The grant program is made possible by funding from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.