Deed, 1765, 1772

Metadata

Title

Deed, 1765, 1772

Date

1765

Digital Identifier

PHS.ThirdPresbyterianChurchDeed1772_7_6

Call Number

Map Case 7.61

Description

Deed granted by Thomas and Richard Penn to "Members of the Congregation belonging to the old Presbyterian Meeting House," naming in particular William Allen, John Allen, George Bryan, William Humphries, John Mease, Peter Chevalier and Samuel Purviance, for a new lot at 4th and Pine Streets. The congregation had grown too numerous for the existing house and grounds of First Presbyterian. John Penn, the Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania, witnessed the deed in 1765.

On the reverse side, the above-named congregants deeded the land and newly built church to "The Committee of the united first and third Presbyterian churches in the city of Philadelphia" in 1772.

Place

Pennsylvania--Philadelphia

Holding Institution

Presbyterian Historical Society

Extent

1 leaf

Format (Original)

Format (Digital)

tiff

Rights

http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

Language

eng

Type

Text

Thumbnail

https://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-images/common/get-jpeg-small.cfm/PHS.ThirdPresbyterianChurchDeed1772_7_61.001.Recto.jpg

IIIF Manifest

https://www.philageohistory.org/rdic-images/iiif.cfm/PHS.ThirdPresbyterianChurchDeed1772_7_6/manifest

Rights Holder

Presbyterian Historical Society