Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA

Metadata

Title

Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA

Digital Identifier

Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA

Description

Third Presbyterian Church began in 1761 as an extension of First Presbyterian Church, located in a house at Second and South streets. In 1768, the congregation of Third Church moved into their new building at 4th and Pine streets. The church called George Duffield as their new pastor in 1771, without the concurrence of First Church. The resulting rift cemented the split between First and Third. The congregation still worships at 4th and Pine today although the building has been extensively renovated since colonial times. The church is popularly known as “Old Pine” while its official name is Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church, reflecting two of the mergers that comprise the continuing church.

Records scanned for this project include trustees minutes and pew records.

Selected Items from the Collection

Following a majority vote by the congregation, the subscribers of Third Presbyterian wrote to Reverend George Duffield requesting he become their new pastor. The letter, dated August 9, 1771, offers him an annual salary of 200 pounds. Duffield…

Charter granted to Third Presbyterian Church by Thomas and John Penn, establishing it as a separate institution from First Presbyterian Church. Witnessed by Lieutenant Governor Richard Penn on August 27th, 1772. This charter explains that the church…

Deed granted by Thomas and Richard Penn to "Members of the Congregation belonging to the old Presbyterian Meeting House," naming in particular William Allen, John Allen, George Bryan, William Humphries, John Mease, Peter Chevalier and Samuel…

Inscribed as "The Pine Street Presbyterian Church Committee Book," this bound volume contains the minutes of the meetings of trustees of Third Presbyterian from 1771 to 1796. Each entry includes the date, place, members present, and business…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1773 to 1778. Entries are listed…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from May 1799 to December 1780.…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1786 to 1787. Entries are listed…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. The majority of this bound manuscript is devoted to recording pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1787 to…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1789 to 1796.

The first several…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1792 to 1796. Entries are listed…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript is a record of pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1797 to 1803. Entries are listed…

The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. This bound manuscript records pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1799 to 1807. Entries are listed by…
View all 12 items