Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA

Metadata

Title

Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA

Digital Identifier

Third Presbyterian Church

Description

Third Presbyterian Church began in 1761 as an extension of First Presbyterian Church, located in a house at Second and South streets. In 1768, the congregation of Third Church moved into their new building at 4th and Pine streets. The church called George Duffield as their new pastor in 1771, without the concurrence of First Church. The resulting rift cemented the split between First and Third. The congregation still worships at 4th and Pine today although the building has been extensively renovated since colonial times. The church is popularly known as “Old Pine” while its official name is Third, Scots and Mariners Presbyterian Church, reflecting two of the mergers that comprise the continuing church.

Records scanned for this project include trustees minutes and pew records.

Collection Items

The subscribers at Third Presbyterian Church coined an offer letter to Reverend George Duffield for the position of the pastor on behalf of the church's congregants. The subscribers offer him an annual fee of 200 pounds as payment for becoming the…

Third Presbyterian Church charter written by Thomas and John Penn. Signed by Richard Penn who was Lieutenant Governor of the state of Pennsylvania on August 24th, 1772. This charter explains that the church will be recognized by King George the Third…

Deed drafted in 1771 by Thomas Penn and Richard Penn for Third Presbyterian Church's new lot because they outgrew their former space. A new burial lot was also provided to the congregation. Witnessing the creation of the deed for Third Presbyterian…

Minutes include date, members present, and general description of what occurred during the meeting.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1773-1778.

Manuscript is record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from May 1799 - Dec. 1780.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1786 - 1787.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1788-1789.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1789-1792.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1792-1796.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1797-1803.

Manuscript is a record of who rented what pews, when they were rented, & for how long pews were rented at Third Presbyterian Church from 1799-1807.
View all 12 items